Palić, lake and settlement of the same name, is located 8km from Subotica. Lake, luxurious parks, eccentric buildings from the early 20th century, an unusual peace and quietness make Palić an ideal place to rest. Luxury hotels, villas and the top gastronomic offer are the features that will make you recognize and remember Palić.
Promenades, beaches, bike trails, cultural – entertaining and sport facilities, as well as a variety of events are complementing the offer of this tourist destination. The lake was created in ancient times as lake with spring water, although the lake water is mostly derived from rainfall that filled the valley.
Water is poured from the surrounding terrain, washing the sodium chloride, so the lake became salty. Palić lake was mentioned for the first time in written documents in 1462 as Pali (Paly). The first drawing or map of the lake (Paligo Palus) comes from the 1690s.
At the end of the 18th century it was well-known that the lake water and mud have curative characteristics. In addition to the treatment (primarily bone and skin diseases) visitors also came to Palić due to the extremely rich supply of entertainment. The golden age of Palić spa started in 1880, after the opening of the railway line Budapest - Zemun in 1883 and tram lines to Subotica in 1897.
After the World War I, when Palić became part of Yugoslavia, the Great (Men's) beach was built on the east side of the lake, and it was the largest facility of its kind in the former Yugoslavia. After World War II embellishment of the Palić lake was continued. In 1950 modern Summer stage made of natural stone was built in pine forest, and since then many artists have performed there. Same year the Zoo was opened.
Weekend settlement was built on the east side of Palić, and many companies have built resorts for their workers. The lake was drained in 1971 due to a constant water levels drop, heat, a reduction in quantity of fish, winds and wastewater, and all mud was taken out from it.
A wastewater treatment plant was built and in 1976 lake was re-filled with water. Since then, the quality of lake water is carefully monitored and preserved. In 1978, the first wells of mineral water were dug on Palić, and in 1984 thermal swimming pool was open. In addition to an existing filter, in 1995 channel Tisa – Palić was put into operation, and it greatly contributed in improvement of the quality of lake water.